Upgrade with miles
Enjoy a higher cabin of service
Use your AAdvantage® miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.
Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets and Basic Economy fare tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
- Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,V,G,Q,N,O,S and Military or Government fares booked in Y
- Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
- Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
- Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
- Discount Business with published fares booked in I
- Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
|To / From||To / From||From Discount Economy / Premium Economy||From Full-Fare Economy / Premium Economy||From Discount Business||From Full-Fare Business|
|Contiguous 48 U.S. states, Alaska, Canada||Contiguous 48 U.S. states, Alaska, Canada||15,000 + $75||5,000||15,000 + $175||15,000|
|Contiguous 48 U.S. states, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean*||Contiguous 48 U.S. states, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean*||15,000 + $75||8,000||– Not available||15,000|
|Contiguous 48 U.S. states, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean*||Hawaii||15,000 + $175||8,000||–||15,000|
|North America**||Central America||15,000 + $75||8,000||–||15,000|
|North America**||Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru||15,000 + $150||8,000||–||15,000|
|North America**||Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay||25,000 + $350||15,000||25,000 + $550||25,000|
|North America**||Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, China, Australia, New Zealand||25,000 + $350||15,000||25,000 + $550||25,000|
|North America**||Europe, Middle East, Africa||25,000 + $350||15,000||25,000 + $550||25,000|
*Caribbean includes the Bahamas and Bermuda
**North America is defined as the U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean
AAdvantage® award processing
- Effective on or before January 14, 2020, a $75 fee will be charged for mileage upgrades requested less than 21 days prior to departure.
- Effective January 15, 2020, no award processing fee applies.
- AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members using miles from your account are exempt from the fee
Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:
- Co-payment is inclusive of U.S. excise tax (where applicable).
- If original ticket is purchased 2 or more days prior to departure and cancelled up to 24 hours from the time of ticket purchase, co-pay, miles and award processing fees are fully refundable. Outside of the 2 days/24-hour window, co-payment is non-refundable.
- Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin.
- Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class results in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
- If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
- Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.
Mileage upgrade award reservations
- American Airlines upgrade awards are valid on individual published-fare tickets on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines. Mileage upgrade awards are not applicable on codeshare flights and don't apply to award tickets or Basic Economy fare tickets.
- All upgrades are subject to availability at the time the mileage upgrade is requested. Mileage upgrade seats may not be available on all flights or to all destinations and are subject to capacity controls.
- The upgrade is a single cabin upgrade from the cabin booked, to the next cabin. A maximum of three segments in one direction may be upgraded. All segments being upgraded must be on the same ticket.
- The fare conditions of the original purchased fare will still apply.
- Tickets upgraded using mileage upgrade awards will accrue miles based on the original purchased fare.
- For American Airlines flights, if your upgrade hasn't been confirmed as of check-in, we will automatically add you to the airport upgrade standby list, using your original request date and time stamp. In order for this to occur, please be sure you have the appropriate number of miles in your account at least 48 hours prior to departure.